Tuesday, January 30, 2007

25 Things I Wish To Do Before I Can't Do Them

There are three major reasons for this post. In order of priority, here they are:

1. B would be very, very angry if I do this any later ;)
2. N has been waiting a long time for a new entry.
3. A third entry in a month is a huge personal achievement for me.

What is the purpose of life?

This post is not meant to be philosophical (the complete opposite, in fact). It's just a good introduction to what follows. Unless you're a believer in destiny, I guess most of you will agree with me that we live to dream and then do whatever it takes to fulfil them. Agreed, those 'dreams' are influenced by the opinions of others sometimes and our own shortcomings at other times. But there would be a general consensus that we would be happiest if we just did what we wanted and didn't care a damn about what others would think. And I'll stop right here because whatever I just wrote is best suited for a different entry altogether. The basic idea here is that all of us have the wildest of dreams and so do I... so here I am sharing those with you. So, as they come to mind, here are the *Read the title now*

(There'll be a wide spectrum of things... ranging from piece-of-cake to never-gonna-happen, so just bear with my fantasies and in the meanwhile, do some dreaming of your own. I guarantee it'll make you feel really good!)

  1. Study at Harvard/MIT/Oxford.
  2. Be a National Geographic photographer. And since my career choices don't allow that, basically become really good at photography and do looooooooooots of wildlife shoots.
  3. Visit Alaska and see some live polar bear action.
  4. Feel the snow fall on my face.
  5. See the northern lights a.k.a. Aurora Borealis.
  6. Fly first class. (Beds passed off for seats, 5 course meals, wine lists and I've heard they serve different varieties of cheese after dinner!)
  7. Become fluent at atleast one foreign language.
  8. Live in the US for some period of time. That country has fascinated me for as long as I can remember and I have to experience that way of life once.
  9. Trek through Ladakh and Tibet. Walk along those deep blue, crystal clear, picture perfect lakes under huge azure skies.
  10. Watch the Soccer and Cricket world cup finals, especially if India is taking part. (In the latter of course! (I'm not that much of a dreamer))
  11. Complete 100 posts on blogger.
  12. Watch a bestseller at Broadway.
  13. A transatlantic cruise on the RMS Queen Mary 2.
  14. Visit each of India's bird hotspots and spot every one of the 1200+ bird species resident in the country.
  15. Bungee jumping! Here would be good ;)
  16. Learn how to eat crab. (I've heard it tastes very good but I've seen just how impossibly hard it is to eat)
  17. Read all the Tintins, Asterix, Archies and P.G. Wodehouse ever published.
  18. Swim in the sea. I've been to beaches many times but never had the guts to actually swim in the open sea. And I should add snorkeling with this point only.
  19. Discover/invent something great to do with genetics and become famous, of course!
  20. Spend an entire day watching Laurel and Hardy & Tom and Jerry.
  21. Get on the wrong side of law, just for kicks. And not get caught, of course.
  22. Watch Aerosmith live.
  23. Ride a roller coaster with those crazy loops and unbelievable drops.
  24. Visit the Great Wall of China and the pyramids of Egypt.
  25. And finally, to do half he things mentioned above, I'll need loads and loads of money!

So that completes my list. And in case you're wondering why I wrote this entry at all, it's because a fellow blogger had 'tagged' me. Which means she wrote a similar entry coz someone else tagged her and then she tagged her friends who had to make this list. So now that I have completed my list, I'd like to give other friends a chance to dream. So I tag:

Nitish, Shivani, Sunali, Abhimanyu (how about starting blogging dude?)

15 comments:

Nipun Dhingra said...

So here comes another much awaited entry...thank God!! N is happy now...he sure is! But reading the list out of which i knew atleast 60% things already,was not all that interesting!! Neway,it's a nice article for those who really wanna know what sidd gupta is about....from bungee jumping to photography to genetics to aerosmith....this dude is a champ!!Great going friend..love to read your articles!!

P.S- I really wish the eleventh point comes true....soon!!

MeMyself_n_I said...

heyyyyyyyyy....u did it!!! ur back on my list of favorite people. lol. excellent list, would like to add some of them to my own(6,13,17 and 21 in particular). also yes, i agree with nipun, this entry brings out the multi-faceted siddharth. hehe.

forevr a spare said...

ummm...well since u mentioned aerosmith n such a frank entry deserves this....as th crazy steven tyler once said:
Dream On, Dream On
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream On, Dream On
Dream until your dream come true

p.s:hopefully it aint 2 cliche'd... :)

SENSATIONS said...

hey, i strongly agree with the 4th, 9th, 20th. but huh? 22nd? never.... too much of a torture. don u think! and oh god! i ll have to o smthing like this as well! its gona take me months to be so creative! lol!

Nitish said...

hey finally another blog :-) and yes mujhe nahin pata tha that you were interested in all these things, SPECIALLY POINT 21!!!! and yes, i'll definitely write one entry on this too!

Anonymous said...

i donno why at this hour in d morning when the whole world is fast asleep(not counting u coz who knws u cld b writing a post,lukin at d time u write them..n ofcourse sum other crazy people lke me..)m tryin to keep my eyes open n comment on ur posts,a person i hardly knw n jst seen once,dat too as a matter of chance...as u say even i wnt bother ur brain much n tell u the reason otherwise there wld be no purpose of me writin d comment in the first place..ur n mine vry dear frnd N,m referin to both the N's here,had praised to me abt ur blogs,the writing style,subject etc etc..so today finally i managed to remember the name of ur blog site and strtd to read the frst post even though m nt much of a reader and ws impressed to the extent dat i read them all in one go with all the comments...jst got one question to ask"WHAT THE HELL R U DOIN IN IIT????"...even when u say dat d lectures serve the purpose of bedtime stories n the chairs r no more than extention of ur bed...bt its fine wid me as long as uv promised to keep writin blogs which uv done in one of the post so dnt u dare break ur promise coz now uv got one more person added to the list of ur fans...i think i shld better stop here cox i neither hv the intentions nor the potential to compete with u in writing long posts ..nor hv i given any warnings to u as u do to the readers b4 hand also cnt ignore the fact that i hv a class early morning..lol..bt trust me man it ws all a pleasure reading all d posts n who cares abt the lenght when u dnt want it to finish...keep writing!!

Anonymous said...

@nipun: thanks man. dont worry, i'll ensure that 2007 does not end w/o pt. 11 coming true!

@barnini: thanks! multifaceted is something that has been used with my name after a long time! and i'm so happy to be back on the 'list'

@digvijay: not cliched man, perfect for this post i say!

@sensations: heyyyy, i LOVE aerosmith. but thanks anyways, and you better complete the 'tag' soon. cant wait to find out what your list will have!

@nitish: thanks yaar. arre yaar, 21 toh sabko ek baar karna hi chaahiye... sharafat ka zamaana nahi hai!

@jyotsna: thanks for such a great comment. it made me feel very, very nice! and dont worry, as far as written stuff goes.... short is not sweet for me, long comments and long entries suit me just fine!! THANKS!!

Nipun Dhingra said...

oh siddharth your articles are just too good yaar....i m hungry for them....you wont believe i visit this webpage everyday hoping to find something new!!....really!!so plzzzzzzzz...try n write as often as possible!!

Unknown said...

awesum piece..for the first time i really enjoyed reading this post and trust me i ddnt even try finding errors in it and dude..even i wanna try out sum of those listed!!

Anunay said...

Hey......... Interesting list Siddarth......... Wish most, if not all of them come true for you...... didn't know you were a birdwatcher.......... blogs really seem to be revealers.......... Hope to see some more posts by you real soon.............

Ganesh said...

hey man, you write brilliantly. that's all I can say.

Anonymous said...

Hmm..dude there ARE some things in the list which you could do easily or have done already:

4. Open the freezer, make a younger sibling scrape off the crushed ice from it and sprinkle it on your face
5. Well didn'y ou just SEE them? You even gave us a chance to see it
7. You seem already fluent in English!

10. Coo..oo..ooll!! What are CAS connections for? Get it, Pappe? ;)
11. Not much of a task
16. Hmm...it is a rather sophisticated art of taking a bit of crab and putting it IN YOUR MOUTH!
17. Go off studies, you'll complete this in a few months
18. Become a pirate.Then, misbehave with the captain!
20. Ye bhi banta hai! Nowadays T&J VCD's sell by the kilo!
21. Get on the wrong side to Newton's Law of Gravity. You may die, but the kicks will be all yours!
22. What is the fun in watching a person live? Waking up, yawning, scratching butt, eating breakfast, then work, lunch, shopping, TV, sleep...it's much more fun to see someone DIE! ;P
24. I'm not sure if you'd be able to visit them, but hey, till then you can visit MY BLOG!

http://akshayunplugged.blogspot.com

OK, keeping the jokes apart, HI I'm Akshay, a fachcha from IITD and your newest blog admirer. Nice one you got there and I hope my stupidity didn't offend you ;)

lemon said...

no 7---ditto..!! i dunno why..but i've always had this fascination for the US...

cool blog by the way :)

Anonymous said...

don't u think it's time for another post ?

Tanya said...

Ok, I LIKE the way you write.