Friday, January 19, 2007

Salsa, Pictionary and Bonds

...is what this post will have to be because I decided I will write a new entry now and then. So here goes... First and foremost, I have to mention that this last week has been the best I ever spent at IITG. And there's plenty of reasons for that.

Considering that the week began on Saturday (I guess I have the liberty to choose that), it was Lohri/Makar Sakranti/Pongal that day and our college was all geared up with plenty of events. So we had kite-flying in the morning and though I didn't fly a single kite because I woke up really late(blame the chilly winter morning for that), it was fun to watch. We followed that up with cricket (and I was the best fielder...yaaaay! (before you take that seriously, please consider sarcasm is among my favorite hobbies)) So anyways, morning and afternoon well-spent, I attended the day's movie screening- Hyderabad Blues; not a great movie but nevertheless, anything to spend your time on the weekend. After this was a bonfire and some serious dancing. And for probably the first time in my life, I was actually dancing like nobody was watching. All my school friends know what a jerk I am at dancing so just take my word for it- I was having a blast! Not that it prevented me from feeling like my body was composed of various body parts stitched together for the next couple of days. I mean, I was actually climbing the stairs like an eighty year old man! So well, as you can guess, the day was a lot of fun but please don't think it stops here. After all this... we decided that another movie was in order so some seven of us made a beeline for a friend's room and watched a two hour long video (no stretch of imagination would allow me to call it a movie) called Jackass 2.

Come Sunday and the day started off as usual with extreme bouts of laziness. I don't know why, but it is absolutely impossible to get out of the blankets on a winter day unless a class is about to begin in the next fifteen minutes. So anyways, somehow or the other day the day was whiled away and then in the evening, I went for my first ever Salsa class. That's right, the salsa bug has bit me too, after so many of my friends in Delhi! It was great fun, except that a certain ratio was a bit skewed. (Man I'm good at euphemism!). But yeah, I picked up a couple of steps.

The rest of the week was spent doing other, random, stuff which included pictionary in class. Yeah, it is possible to play pictionary without the standard set of board and playing pegs. All you need is four people and you can start off in the way of dumb-charades. And when words include rectum, pimp, gynaecologist, among more decent (but nerve wracking) ones like Ivy League, transit, clueless, whitewash etc., then I don't need to explain what a perfect pastime this is.

Classes had started off as usual, but for a change this didn't seem to matter so much because my body has started accepting the senate hall chairs as an extension of bed. This also makes waking up in the morning a wee bit easier. But some classes are so interesting that I don't like to sleep in them. Sample this (BT101):

"The neighbouring nucleosides in RNA are joined together by (?)...together baaay (?)........JOINED TOGETHER BY???"

That was the prof speaking, by the way, and everyone was flummoxed because they expected something big... phosphodiester linkage at the very least. Which would explain the absence of any answer from the class (apart from the fact that half was busy dreaming). Anyway, here's the epilogue:

"Come on students...they are joined together by bonds."

Thanks a lot ma'am...we so didn't know that.

11 comments:

forevr a spare said...

tht blog pretty much summd up th last few days..apart frm th copious amount of chicken consumed by us...n yeah encore not jus for th blog but for th week as well... ;)

Siddharth Gupta said...

@dDigvijay... encore for the week...thats right! I hope every week of our 4 years is as much fun!

My Reality said...

Man did you have to write this one and that too such a florid description? Now I am reminded of all the mindless dancing we did that day, and then the endless body aches in parts of the body I didnt know existed! BEWARE dude, I know where you live! ;)

Jahnabi Roy said...

salsa and sid gupta...omg do those things go together??? well, i guess i'll have to wait to see tht...anyway...wat was that movie- godfather?
n finally....m glad tht u r happy there...made me sick worryin abt hw well u r puttin up...

Unknown said...

hey i just realised that i have never seen u dance! so even u into salsa n stuff now or was it just that one day?

Anonymous said...

@my reality... thanks for enlightening me about the true meaning of your comment ;)

@everything burns...you can stop worrying now :) i'm having a LOT of fun

@arpita... i guess it wasnt a one time thing after. went for a couple of classes after that as well. we have classes every sat-sun

Nitish said...

hey dude! great blog, the bonds thing was particularly interesting... and great to hear bout salsa. next time when u come to delhi we'll all go to tapas together! Why dance when u can SALSA!

Nipun Dhingra said...

Oops!!A lot has been said about you and salsa already!!...so i m not gonna repeat how absolutely shocked i am to picturise you doing the latin dance form!!...Welcome to our club of salsalians(readers,its no word!!)...The pictionary game sounds interesting...must have been a lot of fun...By the way i m really happy to know that you are having fun in iitg finally!!...n yeah keep dancing forever!!

MeMyself_n_I said...

wow so i WAS right about the pictures. very very nicely written(as always) and i totally loved the title of this entry.

SENSATIONS said...

oh god! dancing n siddharth! man! i wonder how u r managing that combo! lol! n salsa? that freaks me out. hmmmm, nitish has competition now!
gr8 going!

Jahnabi Roy said...

update your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!